I have been concerned about global warming for some time. The unprecedented high temperatures in California and other states certainly could be an example of this.
Things that we need to consider:
- Human population has increased from 1 billion people in 1800 to nearly 8 billion people today and is predicted to hit nearly 10 billion shortly after 2050.
- Carbon dioxide particles in the atmosphere have reached an unprecedented level of over 400 parts per million (never before in the history of the earth have CO2 levels exceeded 300 million until 1950-present).
- The average global surface temperature has risen 2.2 degrees Fahrenheit since 1900.
- Global sea levels have risen eight inches in the past century-most of that in the past two decades and the rate of sea level rise is increasing.
- The number of species on earth (mammals, plants, birds fish and insects) have decreased by 67 percent since 1976,
- Half of the world’s habitable land is now used for food production compared to only 4% one millennium ago.
These are not political statements. They are scientific facts. We are looking at Amazon Rain Forest becoming a barren wasteland, infertile soil leaching, to global famine, increasingly destructive weather patterns and growing swaths of uninhabitable land. We are handing down to our children a world that could become unlivable.
Some have decided to shirk responsibility by suggesting that human activity isn’t responsible for the rise in global temperatures, that it is out of our control. We owe it to our children and grandchildren to try to slow or reverse the trend.